Monday 1 December 2008

How fitting

The dress form (Miss Patty) fit in the drum bag and she is now set up in my front room (we have a temporary lodger, so my sewing room is occupied). Miss Patty (short for Patience; she has to wait around a lot when I'm sewing) is currently dressed in a white T-shirt with the pin stripe skirt that I made over the weekend, but don't have a picture of yet. I'm quite happy with the end result, and the pinstripe wasn't too much of a challenge.
Now, what Miss Patty has, I lack: Patience. I only measured the paper patternpieces at what I thought would be the most important bit (my hips are quite wide), started cutting my pin stripe, and the sewing could begin! Everything went like clockwork until I tried to put the skirt on, and found that my waist has grown to a size that I can't even find on Miss Patty... Time for some drastic weight loss action!

Anyway, after taking out the two outer darts from the back I was able to squeeze myself into the skirt, and was actually quite happy with the results. I think it was really smart to start with the skirt before moving on to the jacket and/or trousers: a nice easy piece to get used to the pin stripe, and to remind myself to measure, measure, measure. Pics to follow!

No comments: