Monday 28 July 2008

Spilling the beans

My WM decided that -even though I said I'd use the table in the front room- I do really need a drawing and cutting table, so he bought me one! It's huge. I mean, it's really, really big. And it's green. And it has white lines on the table top. And it has wheels, so I can move it around. Any guesses yet? Right, a table tennis table! But it's a great table, really. I can't wait to get started. Even though it will have to be in the garden, because the thing is just too big for my sewing room. Good thing I'm in the luxury position of having the garden right outside of it!

After the initial excitement about my table subsided, we went to Pentonville Rubber on Saturday to buy some bean bag filling, a foam roll, and maybe some other soft materials for me to cover, so that our garden will almost be like little Morocco for the BBQ party. We found loads of different foam matresses, bean bag refills, rubber mats, fiberfill and lots more, and the Pentonville staff were very helpful. In the end we only bought a bean bag refill, and the salesman told us to go to Chapel Market market around the corner if we wanted cushions, which is exactly what we did. Behind the market stalls I found a little shop called the Sewing Center (17 Chapel Market), where they sell all kinds of cheap haberdashery, as well as second hand sewing machines and sergers. We then went on to visit a few fabric shops in the area, and first went to Bargain Center on 93 Upper Street. In my mind this would be a large shop full of very cheap fabrics, but it turned out to be quite a small shop, chockful of gorgeous suit fabrics and lining. I will definitely go back in the fall (it's just too hot to think about suits now) and check out the bargains. From there I went on to Sew Fantastic on 107 Essex Road, which I really didn't find so fantastic; mostly fake fur and fleece, very colourful, but just not for me. I did however buy some curtain lining, which was cheaper than unbleached calico. I have to say I'm getting a bit discouraged about finding fabrics that I can use for clothes, and I'm starting to think I may have to resort to the internet.

Oh, and we have ordered our camera, it just hasn't been delivered yet. Picture mania to follow as soon as it has arrived!!

1 comment:

Esther said...

Bagsy on the bean bag!