Saturday 19 July 2008

Seek and ye shall find

I found my brag book; I’m over the moon! It only has 12 pages (= 24 pockets), so it will fit in my handbag perfectly! I quickly made a cute cover for it from the copper/gold dupion silk that I want to make a dress out of, and within a day the book is in full use. In the front pocket I’ve put a summary of the SWAP (stage 1: make 11 garments, the idea is almost enough to make me faint…). In the following pockets I’ve put a technical drawing on the left hand page, and a swatch of the fabric I want to use on the facing page. I even put a sticker on the swatch stating how many metres I have; I’m a sucker for efficiency.

I’d love to show you pictures, but unfortunately it won’t be until today that WM and I will be working our way through hundreds of options to find the perfect little digital camera. Fingers crossed that we manage to agree on which one to buy, and that it is actually in stock!

I still haven’t really started sewing, though. Not for lack of fabric or inspiration, or even kindly offered assistance, but unfortunately I am used to tracing my patterns, and I will have to wait for another 2 weeks before Esther’s parents bring over those wonderful rolls of tissue tracing paper from Holland. Yes, I know there are other ways of tracing your patterns, and there probably is other paper available, I just have not been able to find it in London. I can’t use newspaper or brown paper and a tracing wheel because I’m afraid to damage the antique table and I remember only too well what happened to my parents’ table. After a few years of my mum’s handiwork, my dad tried to sand the table down to get rid of the millions of tiny holes on the tabletop, but the top layer wasn’t thick enough. They ended up buying a new table and of course new chairs to go with it. And then they decided to give the whole room a make-over. Wait, perhaps I should start using a tracing wheel on the table: I could end up with a new room!

No comments: