Thursday 28 August 2008

Take them to the cleaners!

Last (UK Bank Holiday) weekend I finally got some real sewing done: The KNIPmode trousers are done! Pictures to follow; I want to have them drycleaned first. I did not pretreat the fabric (linen, call me silly), because it frays so easily and I couldn't fit all of it in my washing machine in one go, so I will only dryclean this set of clothes. I'm hoping the drycleaning will get rid of the stiffness of the fabric, so that I can wear the trousers and not look pregnant (coz I'm not, but that's what it looked like to me). Anyway, next project: the jacket.

For the last few days I have also been working on creating an updated map of fabric stores in London (thanks to Melissa letting me know how to use Google Maps) , and a printable list of those same stores. The map and list will be updated from time to time with short reviews, and as soon as I find out how to publish them on my blog, please have a look. Should you know of any shops, markets or other information that you think would be useful to others, please let me know and I'll add them.

1 comment:

Melissa Fehr Trade said...

ooh, I can't wait to see your map! Glad I could help...

And I've found linen to have a bit of a steep learning curve, but I think I've got it under control now. It doesn't fray TOO badly when you machine wash it, but you've absolutely got to use french seams as the seam allowances gradually disappear otherwise. But when it's all in one big length a half inch lost to fraying doesn't matter too much. And I'm way too cheap to dryclean. ;)